My Writing

17 February, 2019

Tangled Weave Cover

The preliminary cover design for my next novel, A Tangled Weave, is in my hot little hands. Or Downloads folder. Whatever.

The cover is the work of Jeff Minkevics, an artist who regularly works with my publisher, Five Rivers. And I would be shamefully remiss if I didn't thank Lorina, who runs the outfit, for the extent to which she provides for consultation and cooperation between me and the cover artists I've been fortunate enough to work with.

It's amusing, though, that there had to be almost no back-and-forth between me and Jeff on this cover. It turned out his initial concept was almost exactly what I would have used had I the talent and skill to do this sort of thing. And there is a lot I like about this cover:

There are no human figures. I have come to really dislike the sort of Photoshopped-clip art sort of people I see on small-press book covers these days. And anyway, I don't want to suggest to anyone what my characters look like. That's what imagination is for.

The typeface matches that used on A Poisoned Prayer. This creates, I believe, a subconscious link between the two books—which are linked, though A Tangled Weave is not, properly speaking, a sequel (readers of the first novel may be cheered to know that Lise and Rafael return, though in supporting roles).

The flintlock pistol provides another link, echoing Rafael's case of rapiers from the Poisoned Prayer cover. I like to think the weapon suggests adventure.

The elephants are the MacGuffin. You'll have to read the novel to learn the what and the why. Coming to a bookshelf (very) near you this August.

No comments: