My Writing

27 February, 2019

This Ought to be a Real Thing

Alas, not a real book. Image by Chris Smith.
Once upon a time, people bought books either unbound or bound between plain boards. Then they had them covered in bindings (almost always leather) designed for them; these bindings provided a uniform appearance to a library—and probably made life miserable for anyone searching for a particular book by its appearance, which is how I do it myself a lot of the time.

Shortly after I announced the birth of the Herridge Lake Public Library, my pal (and Sucrophile-enabler) Chris Smith sent me this image. I think it's a glorious thing, and my only regret is that it's purely a digital thing. I wonder, though: how much might it cost to have my own novels rebound in such a fashion?

1 comment:

Keith Soltys said...

A friend had an early edition of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - not a first printing, but old enough to be valuable. It wasn't in very good shape. He had it rebound and restored - I think it cost him about $300. I could probably find out who did it if you are interested. (It was someone in Toronto, I think).