My Writing

01 September, 2019

Coming Up Next

With the serialization of High Risk complete, you have now had the opportunity to read two complete novels. But we're not finished yet, not by a long shot.

I have obtained an ISBN for High Risk and have begun formatting the ePub version of the novel; my plan is to have it published and available for (free) download from this site in early October. I'll make the usual announcement when the book goes up.

In the meantime, the serialization project picks up again next week, when I begin pubbing The Bonny Blue Flag, the sequel to Dixie's Land. I have a party to host Sunday 1 September, and will be taking Labour Day off (at my age this is pretty much a necessity). So expect the introduction (and jacket-copy blurb) for BBF to appear Tuesday or Wednesday. Chapter one will begin the next day.

4 comments:

Keith Soltys said...

I'm curious. What are you using to create the EPUB? I have a couple of ebook projects that I want to do and I've started looking at Sigil, but I'm wondering if there is a better solution for documents that were originally Word file. Any suggestions?

Michael Skeet said...

Keith, I'm really sorry about not responding to you earlier. (I wrote a post about that... it's a most embarrassing story.)

Anyway, I write novels using Scrivener, a most excellent (and affordable!) tool that allows, among other things, the compilation of a novel's components into an epub file. This is likely not the answer you're looking for (it only works if you're compiling from a Scrivener project) but I like it because it's fairly easy to use. And it'll become even better when version 3.0 of Scrivener eventually arrives. (As of the end of October 2019 it's about six months overdue.)

Keith Soltys said...

Thanks. I've heard of Scrivener but as you say, it's not really relevant to what I want to do. I am looking at Sigil and Calibre right now. I am going to use the interviews we published in Torus as a test project.

Michael Skeet said...

Lorna uses Sigil and describes it as "a really nice piece of work." She bought a bunch of ebooks in 2018 or so (mysteries by Jane Haddam, for the record) and found them virtually unreadable: the files had been generated by OCR and never proofed, much less corrected. So she used Sigil to clean up the files to the point where she can read them.