My Writing

30 October, 2019

An Apology to Commenters

At the moment I am reading an essay on aeon entitled "Mistake" and a subtitle that begins "I think, therefore I make mistakes..." This turns out to be a cringe-inducingly accurate thing to be reading right now.

I have, from time to time, complained to friends and family that nobody has ever commented on a single one of my posts on this blog. There are about three hundred of them now... and I have only just realized that in fact there have been plenty of comments posted. I just never noticed the menu item reading Awaiting moderation. So all of those comments, some dating back many months, have just been sitting there.

Folks, I'm really sorry about this. I wasn't being rude, or at least not deliberately. I was being incredibly thick-headed. Won't happen again, I promise*.

And a hat-tip to Do-Ming Lum, whose mention of having posted a comment made me look more carefully in the first place.

*This promise not actually valid.

4 comments:

Do-Ming Lum said...

THREE HUNDRED posts... Not bad at all :-)

Michael Skeet said...

Officially, 299 are live, with a couple more scheduled to go this week.

Keith Soltys said...

There is a setting somewhere in the Blogger settings that you can turn on to send you emails when someone posts a comment. I have that turned on for my blog.

Michael Skeet said...

Thanks for the tip. I've found that and switched it on. Now we wait for the cascading deluge of comments...