My Writing

07 February, 2020

Bonny Blue Flag 19.5

Previous    First

[continuing chapter 19]

“I’m glad you feel that way, young man,” said a voice from the doorway. Patton turned to see Secretary Travis entering the room. He struggled to get up, and was grateful when Travis waved him back down. “This is an interrogation,” Travis said, “but I don’t think we’ll make it too formal. You being treated well?”

“Thank you, sir. Yes. My head hurts, but that’s no one’s fault but my own.”

“I’d love to know how you obtained your wound,” Travis said with a thin smile. “You appear to be one of the few prisoners we took who wasn’t injured by our single artillery piece.”



“I had my doubts about how Walker’s men would fight,” Cleburne said.

“You were proved more than right,” Patton said with a sigh. “I’d thought that all it would take was some proper drill to make soldiers of them. Last time I’ll make that mistake.”

“Did you know that you’re one of only four officers we were able to capture?” Travis asked. As he spoke the final words of the question he turned to face Patton, his face suddenly an unreadable mask.

“I did not, sir.” How many of the others, Patton wondered, ran and how many died? And to what extent does Travis want to hold junior officers responsible for this invasion? “Those truly to blame for this weren’t on the field at all, save for Walker and his captains.”

“I understand,” Travis said. “Can you confirm for me the Canadians had nothing to do with Walker’s filibuster?”

“Aside from trying their damnedest to stop it,” Patton said. “Even though they didn’t really know what it was about.”

“And the Federals?”

“They thought we were headed for Kentucky.”

“What about Walker’s behavior in East Texas?”

Patton scowled; the effort made his head ache. “I never finished my military training, but even so I realized he was making a stupid mistake. And all for the sake of speed that did him no good in the end.”

“Walker did you a favour there, Mister Secretary,” Stewart said. “In a left-handed sort of way. I’ll wager the people of East Texas feel a bit better about their government now than they did before Walker arrived.” Turning to Patton he said, “I imagine you tried to talk him out of that, didn’t you, Patton?”

“For all the good it did.” Patton winced as another wave of pain rolled over him. “Thing is, I think he knew it was a stupid thing to do. And he went and did it anyway.” Realizing what he’d just said, he added, “Not that I’m in any position to criticize him, am I?”

“Nor are you alone in that, young man.” Travis favoured him with a thin smile. “Is it true you blew up Walker’s powder magazine? Some of the stories that are being told about you, Captain Patton, are—quite entertaining.”

“Well, sir, I thought that as the battle was lost the most prudent thing to do would be to prevent further loss of life. If I could do it. Blowing the powder wagon just seemed the easiest way of achieving that goal.”

“You probably did us a service, then,” Travis said. He gazed at Patton, without further speech, for a while.

Then he got to his feet. “I’m satisfied, I think. Thank you for your honesty, Captain Patton. I trust I’ll have the opportunity of speech with you again before long.” Nodding to Stewart and Cleburne, the secretary left.

For a moment Patton was unsure of the significance of Travis’s departure. Finally he turned to Cleburne. “Is that it?” he asked. “Is it over? Is that my interrogation?”

“Not exactly the right word for it, I suspect,” Cleburne said. “I can’t remember how many minutes it’s been since he actually asked you a question of any political import. But yes, young Patton, I think that your interview is done. Unless I miss my guess, you’ve been dismissed. You’re free to go.”

“Well I’ll be damned,” Patton said. He immediately added, “Don’t even think it,” as Cleburne opened his mouth to respond. After they’d laughed a little, Patton asked, “Why am I being let off so easily? Is it because they’ve got Walker?”

“Could be,” Cleburne said. “Most likely it’s because Travis thinks you’ll be of more use to him as a free man. He’s a pretty shrewd judge of character, is our Secretary Travis.”

“He’s left me in no doubt of that. And if he intended me to feel obligated to him, he certainly succeeded.”

“I’m pretty sure he knows that, too, “ Cleburne said. “In addition to being a good judge of a fellow, he’s a fair clever man. I don’t doubt that he’ll be president of this country before much longer.”
Cleburne got up and walked toward Stewart, who got out of his chair in response. For a moment, Patton’s head throbbed and he felt dizzy; wavering a bit, he clutched the arm of the chair for support.

“We’re a fine pair, aren’t we?” Cleburne said, brandishing his wounded arm.

“I’ve a way to go before I catch up with you in the wounds department,” Patton said. “But I’m honored to be considered with you in any context. He extended his hand. “Will I see you again before I go?”

“Don’t be daft,” Cleburne said. “Who d’ye think’s in charge of guarding you so’s you don’t escape?”

Next    Chapter One    Chapter Two    Chapter Three    Chapter Four    Chapter Five    Chapter Six
Chapter Seven    Chapter Eight    Chapter Nine    Chapter Ten    Chapter Eleven    Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen    Chapter Fourteen    Chapter Fifteen    Chapter Sixteen    Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen    Chapter Nineteen

No comments: