My Writing

26 February, 2020

Sowing Ghosts: Kyoto in 1528

I had never made a map for any story I wrote, until I came to finish Sowing Ghosts. In this case I came to the conclusion that readers might find it useful to be able to check for themselves the locations of some of the scenes in what follows.

The map I created, shown below, was based on a variety of sources. The primary reference, though, is Mary Elizabeth Barry's The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto. To give readers some idea of the extent of the devastation the capital suffered during the Sengoku Jidai, reflect that on the map below, streets which are shown with a dotted outline are streets along which most of the buildings were burnt in the years prior to 1528... and had never been rebuilt. Most of the destruction, in fact, happened during the Ōnin War, which ended in 1477. That's half a century during which the capital of the country was in large part a ruin.

Note that items in blue on this map are either invented by me or speculative (I could not find any source that would pinpoint the site of the East Market during the period of this story); all other items are as true to the historical record as I can make them.

No comments: