My Writing

25 May, 2020

A Regrettable Announcement

I have become, literarily speaking, an orphan.

My publisher has announced the impending closure of her press. Five Rivers Publishing is shutting down as of 1 June 2020. (My novels, A Poisoned Prayer and A Tangled Weave, seem already to have been removed from the catalogue.) This closure isn't (directly) COVID-19 related, but rather a result of family issues that will require the attention that could have been focused on publishing and books. She is absolutely doing the right thing, of course.

The response from the SF writing community in Canada has been supportive, and justifiably so: my own experiences with Lorina and Five Rivers have been marvellous from the moment of first contact. My editorial adventures with Lorina and with Robert were vastly informative and made me, I believe, a better writer now than I was at the start. I had been looking forward to working with Lorina some more, on the third novel in the French Intrigues series. And now...

... Well, what now?

The rights to A Poisoned Prayer and A Tangled Weave will revert back to me in a few days, but to be honest I've no idea what to do with them. I am not at all entrepreneurial, never have been. So the course of the determined self-publishing author just is not for me. I suppose it's remotely possible another publisher might be interested in the series, but somehow this doesn't seem too likely.

At any rate, between the shock of this news and the numbing effect of a prolonged social isolation, I won't be even attempting to do anything about this soon.

No comments: