My Writing

12 August, 2020

Jade Maiden 2.5

Previous    First

[continuing chapter 2]

Whatever the grandfathers might have felt, the barbarian either didn't notice or didn't care.  Acknowledging the honor for what it was, Pocapetl poured a bit of smoky liquid into a cup.  "Here," he said.  "This one's free.  If you're going to be studying weapons with Mah the Knife, you're going to need it."

Wen took a sip.  After he'd finished choking and coughing, he took a second, smaller sip.  "By the hells," he gasped, "what is that?"

"Mex-Kal," Pocapetl said.  "My family's secret recipe."

"You learned the secret of distillation from us, barbarian," Chin said, pouring a cup for himself.  "And don't you forget it."

"Oh, I'm grateful enough," said Pocapetl.  "Just as I'm grateful that your Buddhist missionaries helped us overthrow the Aztec.  And are you grateful to us for introducing you to corn, and pepper, and chocolate?"

"Chocolate?"  Wen paused in the act of sipping.  "My grandfather always said that chocolate was a gift of the dragon king of the Eastern Ocean."

"Oh, it's a gift of the gods all right.  But our gods, not yours."

"Comparative religion is beyond me, I'm afraid," said Wen.

"All that matters about the gods," said Chin, "is that they all support the removal of the impostor Prince Zhu Yizan."

"Oh, he's at it again," said Pocapetl.  "Somebody change the subject, quickly."

"Hey," said Chin.

"Where are they?" said a thin, acid voice.  After a pause during which everyone turned to look, the slender owner of the voice said, "This is it?  Chin Gwai, have you brought me down from my comfortable home to nursemaid a mere two pupils?  And they're cabbages, again!  How many times have I told you: you'll never earn the Mandate of Heaven if your fighters are the sorts who belong behind an ox, and not in the saddle!"

"Recruits Wen and Yu," said Chin, "this is your sword-master, Mah Yimin."

"Your blade still as sharp as ever, Mah?"  Pocapetl poured another cup and handed it to the small man.

"You're never going to find out, you repellent waiguoren."  Mah drained the cup in a single swallow, smiled and nodded to the wine-seller, and then turned to Wen and Yu.  His smile vanished.  "As for you two... Have either of you even seen a sword or a bow, much less used one?"

"My father owns a sword," Wen said.  "Unless he's had to sell it.  I know a bit about using a knife.  I don't much like it, though."

"Then you should stay out of the kitchen."  Mah turned to Yu.  "Well, cabbage?  Do you speak?"

"Yes."

"Well, thank the gods for that, then.  What about swords?  Archery?"

"Grew up on a farm," said Yu.  "I can cut you in half with a sickle, if I have to."

"Now that is the attitude I'm looking for!"  Mah grinned, or at least showed his teeth in a way that a drunk might mistake for a grin.  "You go off and do your pirate things, Chin, and leave these cabbages to me.  By the time you get back, I'll have a couple of fighting men ready for you."

"I keep telling you," Chin said, "I am not a pirate.  I am a rebel, and the founder of a new dynasty."

And the worse for us that is, Wen said to himself.  Better you should have been a pirate.  Perhaps I can just stay here and work for Pocapetl.  A wine-shop's not a bad place to be, really.

Next    Prologue    Chapter 1    Chapter 2

No comments: