My Writing

09 September, 2020

Jade Maiden 4.9

Previous    First

[continuing chapter 4]

Chin had regained his senses by the time he, Wen and the now-recovered demon entered the dragon's crystal palace.  He said nothing, though, simply stared at the glittering diamond-like floor.  As he was bound hand and foot, he did nothing either.

"That was a very amusing battle."  Wen heard the dragon's voice well before the creature appeared in the chamber.  "And this is your virtuous man, is it?"  A clink and clatter of precious metal and stones announced the yellow dragon as it slithered through the treasure-hoard.  "If the gods lend strength to a virtuous man, then this is surely the man I seek, because he would have killed you without the assistance of that freak Mo."

"I was trying very hard not to hurt him," Wen said with forced respect.  "I suspect you would find me more than a match for any opponent whose well-being I was not trying to preserve."  I'd like to believe that, anyway, he thought.  Taking a deep breath, he walked over to Chin.  "And at this moment, demon, I am not especially interested in his well-being."

"What did you call me?"

"You heard."  Wen drew the sword—slowly, so as to give him time to slip his left hand inside his right sleeve, to loosen the silk strap on his upper arm.  "I am prepared to give you this man, and allow you to reach your goal.  But only if you show me your true shape first."  Behind him, he heard Mo sharply draw breath.

For a moment the dragon's eyes went crystal-clear, and thunder rumbled through the palace.  Then the dragon laughed.  "You are not virtuous, but you do seem to be clever.  How did you know?"

"I didn't for a long time," Wen said.  "I only guessed.  But even before I was brought before you I wondered what a dragon would want with the sacrifice of a virtuous man.  There were clues—the so-called demon over there flashed its eyes red, the color of respect, when I mentioned the name of the dragon king of the Eastern Ocean, and you hardly paid attention at all—but what finally convinced me was how little help the 'demon' could give me during my fight with Chin.  If that had really been a demon, shape-changing would have been easy.  But in fact it was you controlling the demon's shape, wasn't it?"

"Very good!"  The dragon coiled itself back a few more paces.  "I suppose your cleverness has earned you at least a glimpse of the shape I hold now, since I will very soon take on immortality.  You understand that I will be keeping out of the range of your sword."

"Of course.  If it will make you feel safer, I will drop the sword."  For the moment, Wen retained his grip on the hilt.

"As you wish," the dragon said, and then the walls of the crystal palace seemed to shiver, and color bled into them in shards and fragments.  The dragon-shape disappeared, and in its place at the foot of the dais was a long, thick, gray-colored snake.  "You understand, perhaps, my desire for immortality," it hissed.

Wen dropped the sword.  "I understand," he said, flicking the throwing-knife down into his hand from the place where Lum had tied it to his right arm, "how your greed has led to your undoing."  Without raising his hand any higher than his shoulder, Wen flicked the knife into the snake-demon's eye.  Then, as the demon thrashed into the treasure-hoard, Wen picked up the sword, strode across the chamber, and cut off its head.

* * * *

"It is good to be back in my own shape," said the dragon.  "I owe you my life, human.  What can I do for you in return?"

I would simply like to find out if the life I have been thinking about is the life I want to lead, Wen thought.  I suppose that will have to wait, though.  Aloud he said, "My father is very ill and my ancestors apparently can no longer help him.  I have to obtain sufficient funds to help with doctors and sages and whatever else he may need.  Let me return to the Jade Maiden and I will be happy.  I did not do what I did in expectation of reward.  I wanted to save my skin and my father, and that is all."

"Do you wish your eye returned?  Allow me to do at least that much."

Wen thought a moment.  He had liked that eye; it had served him well.  Besides, mutilation was never a pleasant subject where ladies were concerned.  Though some, he reflected, might find an eye-patch ... interesting.  "I have a better idea," he said.

Next    Prologue    Chapter 1    Chapter 2    Chapter 3    Chapter 4

No comments: