My Writing

19 June, 2020

Apparently It's Okay to Not Feel Okay

Franz von Mieris, "Woman Writing a Letter"
via Wikimedia Commons. Probably should
have been titled "Woman NOT Writing a
Letter," based on the pose and expression.
Or at least that's what somebody says, as quoted by the BBC.

The article in question, called "How Anxiety Affects Your Focus," was published on 11 June (2020) but I only learned about it this morning, from Lorna who is my source for pretty much all information about the world now.

(This is because I've been finding it too depressing to read the news lately, for all sorts of reasons I won't bother anybody with and anyway most of you already know about it yourselves.)

The point of the article is that stress both adds to the number of things our minds have to keep track of and, at the same time, reduces our ability to cope with any of those things. In the case of somebody with pretensions to writing one of the bigger of those things is, well, writing.

Your correspondent has two projects on the go at the moment, both sitting idle for months now (one had been idle since last autumn so we can't blame The Plague for that) and despite my earnest desires (we won't talk about best of intentions, at least not just yet) there has been no sign since March of any significant interest in writing. Nor in much of anything else, to be honest.

And while it's nice to know It's Not Just Me, and that there are Reasons for all this not-working, somehow I think I'd be happier being ignorant on this score but being back at work anyway.

No comments: