My Writing

19 June, 2020

Sowing Ghosts 16.5

Previous    First

[concluding chapter 16]

“Why are we in such a hurry all of a sudden?” Shiro asked. Once beyond the gates of Hokke-ji, Hiroki had urged them into a canter.

“I am concerned for the well-being of Akamatsu Noritoyo,” Hiroki said.

“Isn’t his fate with the Buddha and the Bodhisattva Kannon now?” Shiro asked. “You already did everything you could to save him, so the rest should be up to the Goddess of Mercy.”

“It’s not his wound I’m worried about,” Hiroki said.

“Oh,” said Tetsuo. “The man who wrote the note. That’s what you’re worried about.”

“I don’t think the note was written by a man,” Hiroki said, “though it was certainly dictated by one. And if that man has learned of the failure of his plans then not only Akamatsu is in danger, but Lords Naitō and Matsukata — and in fact everyone at our mansion. Yes, Tetsuo, that’s what I’m worried about.”

“I’m the fastest rider,” Shiro said. “Why don’t I go on ahead and warn the others?”

“That’s a good idea,” Hiroki said. “Off with you, then. When you arrive, try to arrange for extra guards to watch over Akamatsu and Katsumi. Then meet me and Tetsuo at Lord Miyoshi’s compound.”

Next    Characters    Chapter 1    Chapter 2    Chapter 3    Chapter 4    Chapter 5    Chapter 6
Chapter 7    Chapter 8    Chapter 9    Chapter 10    Chapter 11    Chapter 12    Chapter 13    Chapter 14
Chapter 15    Chapter 16

No comments: