My Writing

29 July, 2020

Jade Maiden 1.2

Previous    First

[continuing chapter 1]

"I was not cutting at anything."  I was trying to loosen the knot.  "In fact, I don't even own a knife.  The knife you have been given is the one your guards tucked into my sleeve when they arrested me."

"You were not invited to speak, wretch."  Li nodded and one of the men behind Wen fetched him a solid blow to the shoulder blades.  Wen fell over again, bruising the other shoulder.  He stayed on the floor this time, unmoving, until Li said, "Oh, for heaven's sake.  Somebody untie his wrists so he can adopt the proper posture before me.  I won't be able to hear him if he's on his face that way."  To his credit, the guard hesitated a moment before pulling Wen back into a kneeling posture and removing the cords from around his wrists.  I wouldn't have untied me either, Wen thought.

"Now," Li said, "since there is no need to hear any further evidence in this case, I will pass sentence.  Wen Xia, it is the opinion of this court that you are an irredeemable person, and that the principality of Fusang only suffers by your continued presence within our borders."  Exile? thought Wen.  I could stand exile, I think.  "Therefore I sentence you to death, sentence to be performed immediately.  As you are the son of an educated man and your father once held a clerkship in this city, I will grant you the clemency of beheading rather than boiling."

You probably really do think you're doing me a favor, Wen thought.  But that was in keeping with everything Wen had learned about the magistrate.  Sentencing a man to death for fondling a lantern was stupid enough, but no doubt there was a precedent for it somewhere, and if there was Li would know about it.  Likewise there must be some quirk of the law that allowed Magistrate Li to circumvent the requirement that all death sentences be reviewed and approved by the regent; that, or there was something that Li could turn into a suitable exemption.


The fact that the magistrate had so carefully refrained from even mentioning the true reason he had had Wen arrested told him all he needed to know about the man.  Li would no doubt never admit to anyone what had really happened.  It wouldn't look good if anyone knew; it would reflect badly on his honor as a magistrate.

Next    Prologue    Chapter 1

No comments: