My Writing

30 July, 2020

Jade Maiden 1.3

Previous    First

[continuing chapter 1]

"Why are you just sitting there?"  Wen started, then struggled to maintain his balance.  "You've just been sentenced to death, and probably unjustly so.  You duty to us requires you to prevent this sentence from being carried out."

My duty to myself requires that I prevent this, Wen thought.  Slowly he turned his head to the right.  He saw nobody, or at least nobody close enough to have spoken to him.  The peasant picking his nose with such care definitely couldn't have spoken.  It hadn't been Grandfather, either; the voice was wrong, even if the invisibility thing fit.

There are other ghosts here?  The voice, Wen realized, had seemed to come from every direction—and none.  "You," the strange voice added, "continue to be a great disappointment."  Suddenly Wen felt a stinging slap on the back of the head, somehow without actually feeling anything.  And then he saw the old man.  Yes, he thought, another ghost.  This is an unfortunate habit to be starting, at any time of one's life.

Even if it hadn't been for the unworldly voice and the slap-that-wasn't, Wen would have known he was looking at a spirit.  The old man's robe looked like a scholar's robe, but the patterns and even the colors ran away and hid whenever Wen tried to look at them, leaving only smoky shadows of what they might have been.  The man's face began with an angry pair of silkworm eyebrows and scowled its way down to a long, scraggly beard that suggested sun-bleached seaweed.

"I'm sorry," he said to the ghost, pitching his voice as softly as he could.  "I'm not exactly in a position to do much about this just now.  I'm working on a plan, though."

"You should speak to me with more respect, no matter what position you think you're in!"

"More respect?  Who are you?"

Wen felt another blow to the head.  The invisible hand behind it had given a distinct sense of boniness.  "I am your Number One Grandfather, you wretch!"

"My what?"

"Don't take that tone with me, you irresponsible disappointment," said the scraggy ghost, now in front of him, semi-translucent but still nasty.  "I am your Number One Grandfather and founder of the family.  Your should not be letting yourself be executed: you should be preparing yourself for the  job you are about to inherit."

"Inherit?"  Wen stared at the ghost—realizing, as he did so, that the effect had him staring through the ghost and straight into the angry eyes of the magistrate.  "I'm not going to inherit anything," he said.  "And that's the way I like it.  I don't want to be beholden to anybody!"  Number One Grandfather's beard, Wen noted, was as dry, thin and gray-green as the dying fronds of a coconut tree.

Wen stopped.  It had suddenly become very quiet in the courtroom. The magistrate eyes flickered with something dark and extremely malevolent.  Everyone else was staring at him.  "Why can't you all just leave me alone?" he asked none of them and all of them.  "And why can't I have a drink?"

"Do I have any other cases this morning?"  Li asked his clerk with careful, casual disdain.  "If not I should like to watch this execution.  I have grown quite tired of having to deal with this irresponsible young man."

I'm getting tired of being called "irresponsible," Wen thought.  Especially since it seems to mean nothing more than that I don't want to do what you want me to do.  Ghosts and magistrates, he thought: I'm tired of them all.

"There are no other cases, sir," the clerk said.  "Shall I—"

At that moment another case was added to the docket.

Next    Prologue    Chapter 1

No comments: