My Writing

02 September, 2020

Jade Maiden 4.4

Previous    First

[continuing chapter 4]

"I admit I like my father, most of the time.  As for my grandfathers…"  He let his voice trail away.  There was no chastising smack on the back of his head.  Most likely ancestral spirits couldn't force their way into a place as magically powerful as this.  The dragon showed its teeth.  "But it was Father who showed me, by his life of hard work and devotion, that hard work and devotion is seldom enough if you are born poor and you want to ride the tiger."

The dragon hissed.  "That is not a virtuous thing to say.  And the god of wealth should not be invoked so casually, especially before a dragon."

"Yes," said Wen, "I do admire your treasure-trove.  No doubt the god Bi Gan helped you earn it in a virtuous fashion."  The dragon laughed, and Wen felt uneasy.  Then he looked at the presumed demon, and the old man's eyes were transparent with anger, the way the dragon's had been earlier.

"Tell me about yourself, man.  I want to know how without virtue you are, and why you are to make a meal for me."

Wen dropped the placard and sighed.  "I would like to be able to say I have no idea of why I am here.  But the truth is, I am here because I do not understand why a man cannot get rich even as he is helping to restore the bond between a people and their ruler."

"This does not explain why you were chosen as a sacrifice."

"My problem," Wen said, "began with the decision of the Longqing Emperor, long before I was born, that China had no need to trade—or even to live—anywhere outside the traditional borders.  'We should not stoop to fight with wolves and pigs' was how he put it, I believe.  So my homeland, Fusang, has been cut off from her mother country for generations.  For the last seven decades we have been under the increasingly misguided rule of a prince named Zhu Yizan.  This old man, I am told, has lost the mandate of heaven.  So a number of determined men have decided to establish a new government, one with the mandate of heaven, in this place."

"And you were one of them?"  The demon's eyes glowed; the dragon seemed to have lost interest.

"Not exactly," Wen admitted.  "Mostly I have been along for the ride."

"Did you not fear the consequences of betraying heaven's anointed ruler?"

Wen took care to look at the demon and not at the dragon.  "The relationship between ruler and ruled in the middle kingdom is not quite as clear-cut as is the relationship between your dragon here and his King Áo Guăng."  Again, the demon's eyes glowed red at the mention of the dragon king's name.  The dragon, meanwhile, had picked up a mirror from its treasure-pile and was admiring its reflection.  Most unusual, Wen thought.

"It is clear, listening to you, that you are indeed completely lacking in virtue."  The dragon had dropped the mirror and returned to join Wen and the demon.  "I should eat you now, just to shut you up, and then send that pathetic demon out to find me a true virtuous man."

"Oh, there's no need for that," Wen said.  He smiled at the dragon.  "I can find you a virtuous man."

"How would a wretch such as you know of any virtuous man?"  The dragon opened its mouth wide, and fog rolled out and began to pool around Wen's feet.  It was cold, the cold of the grave.

"For the same reason that I was dropped here in the first place," Wen said.  "I told you I was thrown overboard because I could not see why a man should not be able to enrich himself even as he struggles to restore proper government to the people.  The people who threw me into the sea thought my piratical instincts insulted their virtue.  One of those people will satisfy your need, I'm sure of it."

"You want to save yourself, do you?  Then tell me where my demon might find this virtuous man."

"I would be a poor pirate indeed if I simply gave you the information you want.  Give me your word that I will be set free to resume my life, and I will personally deliver your virtuous man to you."

 The palace rumbled again.  "You dare to bargain with me, man?  My life-force is much stronger than yours; it matters little to me if I have to continue searching rather than agree to a deal with you."

"How long have you been searching so far?"

In the silence that followed, Wen could hear the drip of water echoing through the crystal palace.

"Oh, all right."  The dragon was suddenly right in front of Wen.  Each of its incisors was the size of Wen's forearm; its breath, curiously enough, had no odor whatever.  "There will be conditions, though."

A rush of air passed his face and Wen was on the floor, icy pain filling his head.  Before he lost his senses he had the impression of the dragon retreating, laughing dryly, and he realized the creature had struck him.

Next    Prologue    Chapter 1    Chapter 2    Chapter 3    Chapter 4

No comments: