My Writing

03 September, 2020

Jade Maiden 4.5

 Previous    First

[continuing chapter 4]

When Wen regained his senses the world looked different, closed in somehow.  It was the space of several breaths before he understood that he was seeing through just one eye, and something cold was pressing against the other.  Slowly he climbed to his feet, smoothing his tunic and trousers.  Something tugged at his hair.  "Why?" he asked the dragon, not daring to touch his face.  At least the pain had stopped.

"Now I will know everything you do," the dragon said.  "Because I will see everything you see."  The dragon now sported a third eye—Wen's left eye—in the middle of its forehead.

"The bargain was not entirely one-sided," the demon said.  The old man handed Wen the mirror the dragon had admired itself in earlier.  In the polished bronze he saw black and green shining back at him.  He was wearing an eye-patch, black lacquer on a band of heavy silk, with an ovoid emerald set, like a mocking eye, in the midst of the lacquer.

"Very nice," he murmured.  "Though I think I liked the old one better."

"You still have one more eye than you might have had," the demon said.

"True."  Wen walked from the demon, past the dragon, to the glistening hoard.  Even with just one eye it was easy for him to assess by look the various weapons mixed in with the coins, jewels, and precious objects.  He couldn't be sure, but he thought he recognized some of the treasure as that which Chin had insisted on throwing overboard after capturing the Lady Fengzi's ship.  The jian sword he picked up did have a jewel or two in the hilt, but it was the balance that he was looking for.  "I will take this with me on my journey to collect your virtuous man," he told the dragon.  "Just in case."  And I hope I won't have to use it.

"You will also have a companion on your journey," the dragon said.  "The demon will accompany you, to ensure that you live up to your promise."

"Why would I not keep my word?"

"You have just spent ten minutes persuading me that you are not virtuous, and you dare to ask me that?"

Wen laughed.  "I just enjoy aggravating the self-important," he said to the demon.

Next    Prologue    Chapter 1    Chapter 2    Chapter 3    Chapter 4

No comments: